- Serves: 2
- Preps in 30 minutes
- Cooks in about 30 minutes
- 1 eggplant
- Olive Oil, 1 tsp
- Jared roasted red peppers chopped, 13/ cup
- Crumbled feta cheese, 1/3 cup
- lemon juice, 1 tsp.
- dried oregano, ¼ tsp
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 whole wheat rolls
- Lightly spray the Panini press with cooking spray. Allow it to preheat.
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into slices that are around ½ inch in thickness. Remove the skin if you choose to. Brush the eggplant with the olive oil. Grill the eggplant 3 to 5 minutes per side until it becomes lightly browned and tender. Allow the eggplant to cool. Chop it in a course manner. The slices do not have to be perfect. Mix the eggplant with the red peppers. Add ground pepper to taste.
- Mash up the feta using a fork. Add the lemon juice, oregano, and pepper to taste. Mix until it can be spread easily.
- Slice the rolls in half and scoop out a little of the interior dough. This will allow rooms for the filling and will keep the sandwich from having too much bread. Spread the feta mixture on the bottom half of each roll. Add the red pepper mixture over the cheese. This should fill the sandwich up nicely. Add more of the cheese mixture on top if desired. Add the top of the roll.
- Put the sandwich on the Panini press and toast around 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the bread gets lightly browned.
Tip: This sandwich can be made ahead of time. Follow all of the steps until the final toasting on the Panini press. (Check our reviews and comparison for a great panini press!) Wrap the sandwich up and store it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. When ready to serve heat it up on the Panini press and the sandwich will still be fresh.